|M.S., Ph.D., University of Minnesota|
|B.S., University of Illiniois|
- 1 July 2020 – present: Emeritus Professor, Auburn U.
- 2018-30 June 2020: Professor, Auburn U.
- 2013-2017: Alumni Professor, Auburn U.
- 2009-2015: Graduate Program Officer, DAERS, Auburn U.
- 1983-2012: Assistant, Associate, Full Professor, Auburn U.
- 1999 – 2012: Adjunct Full Professor II, University of Tromsø, Norway
- 1997: Winrock LEAD-21 Professor, China Agricultural University (April-June)
- 1994-98: Associated Member of Graduate Faculty, University of Guelph, Ontario
- 1980–1983: Research Associate, Cornell University
- 1975–1980: Research Assistant, University of Minnesota
honors and awards
- 2017 Distinguished Graduate Faculty Lecturer, Auburn University
- 2016. Fulbright Specialist, Council of International Exchange of Scholars (2016)
- 2015. Outstanding Journal Article Award, Southern Association of Agricultural Economics
- 2014. ARER Fellow, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association
- 2013. Alumni Professor, Auburn University
- 2012. Lifetime Achievement Award, Southern Agricultural Economics Association
- 2011. Provost’s Award for Supporting Graduate Scholarship, Auburn University
- 2009. Director’s Senior Research Award, Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station
- 2008. Distinguished Professional Contribution Award, Southern Agr Economics Association
- 2006. Graduate Council Service Award, Auburn University
- 1999. Best Paper Award (shared with N.R. Martin), Southern Decision Sciences Institute
- 1992. Auburn University Book Author Award
- 1989. Auburn University Book Author Award (shared with J.J. Molnar)
International Assocation of Agricultural Economics
Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics
Australian Association of Agricultural Economics
Southern Association of Agricultural Economics
Northeastern Agricultural Economics Council
Western Association of Agricultural Economics
Elected/Invited/Appointed Positions of Service
- 2018. Expert witness, NAP case, U.S. Department of Justice, Middle District of Alabama
- 2017. Panel member, USDA’s Critical Agr Research and Extension (CARE) grant program
- 2014-2017. Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award Committee, AAEA
- 2013-2017. Associate Editor, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics
- 2004-07. Editor, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics
- 2003-present. Associate Editor, China Agricultural Economics Review
- 2003-07. Associate Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics
- 2001-05. Editorial Board. Agricultural Economics
- 1999-2012. Adjunct Professor II, University of Tromsø, Norway
- 1999-2003. Chair. Research Committee on Commodity Promotion Programs (NEC-63)
- 1998-present. Editorial Board. Agribusiness: An International Journal
- 1997. LEAD-21 Professor, China Agricultural University (appointed by Winrock International)
- 1996. C-FARE Expert Panel Member (appointed by Farm Foundation)
- 1995-98. Vice-Chair. Research Committee on Commodity Promotion (NEC-63)
- 1994-2007. Editorial Board, Aquaculture Economics and Management
- 1994-2006. Steering Committee, National Institute for Commodity Promotion Research and Evaluation, Cornell University
- 1994-98. Oversight Committee for Report to Congress on National Dairy Promotion and Research Program, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- 1994-98. Associated Member of Graduate Faculty, University of Guelph, Ontario
- 1994. Author of Amicus Brief to U.S. Supreme Court on Commodity Promotion (commissioned by California Ag Issues Forum)
- 1991. Task Force to Evaluate Econometric Literature on Generic Promotion, International Dairy Federation, Brussels
- 1987-2007. Executive Committee, Research Committee on Commodity Promotion
- 1986-94. Secretary, Research Committee on Commodity Promotion
My major research interests are in in the areas agricultural prices, marketing and trade. I have also done research on topics related to rural development, student performance, and the environment.
Current Courses taught
- AGEC 7700 Research Methods in Agricultural Economics
- AGEC 7970 Special Topics – PhD Qualifying Paper in Applied Economics
- AGEC 8060 Theory of Agricultural Markets
- AEC 301 Agricultural Marketing
- AGEC 3100 Computer Applications in Agricultural Economics
- AGEC 5030/6030 Agricultural Prices
- AEC 600 Advanced Agricultural Policy
- AEC 680 Special Problems – Equilibrium Displacement Modeling
- AGEC 7020 Advanced Agricultural Prices
Courses Taught or Co-taught at Foreign Institutions
- 2016. Research Methods, Nha Trang University, Nha Trang, Vietnam (MS level)
- 2014. Capital U of Economics and Business, Quantitative Policy Analysis, Beijing (PhD level)2014. Capital U of Economics and Business, Quantitative Policy Analysis, Beijing (PhD level)
- 2014. Northwest Ag and Forestry University, Quantitative Policy Analysis, Yangling, China (PhD level)
- 2012. Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. Econometrics (MS/PhD level)
- 2011. Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. Quantitative Policy Analysis (MS/PhD level)
- 2008. University of Tromsø, Norway. Econometrics (MS level)
- 2004-07. University of Tromsø. Applied Demand Analysis (MS/PhD level)
- 2004. National Taiwan Ocean University. International Market Analysis (MS Level)
- 2002. China Agricultural University, Beijing. Quantitative Policy Analysis (MS/PhD level)
- 1999/2002. University of Tromsø. Generic Promotion and Market Development (MS level)
- 1997. China Agricultural University. Agricultural Price Analysis (PhD level) and Agricultural Marketing (PhD level)
publications (Career Total)
- 4 co-edited books
- 15 book chapters
- Over 100 refereed journal articles
- Over 100 working, presented, and miscellaneous papers
- Over 3,800 Google Scholar citations
- Hatch, L.U. and H.W. Kinnucan (eds.) Aquaculture: Models and Economics. Boulder: Westview Press, 1993.
- Kinnucan, H., S.R. Thompson, and H.-S. Chang (eds.). Commodity Advertising and Promotion. Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1992.
- Nichols, J., H. Kinnucan, and K. Ackerman (eds.) Economic Effects of Generic Promotion Programs for Agricultural Exports. College Station: Texas A&M University Policy Center, 1991.
- Molnar, J. J. and H. W. Kinnucan (eds.) Biotechnology and the New Agricultural Revolution. American Association for the Advancement of Science and Westview Press; Boulder, Colorado,1989.
Book CHapters (* student Co-author)
- Myrland, Ø. and H. W. Kinnucan. “Generic Advertising in Export Markets.” In Frank Asche (editor). Primary Industries Facing Global Markets. Herndon, VA: Copenhagen Business School Press, 2006, pp. 247-67.
- Kinnucan, H. W. and Y. Zheng*. “National Benefit-Cost Estimates for the Dairy, Beef, Pork and Cotton Promotion Programs.” In H. Kaiser, J.M. Alston, J. Crespi, and R.J. Sexton (eds.) The Economics of Commodity Promotion Programs: Lessons from California. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing, 2005, pp. 255-86.
- Revishvile, Z. and H. W. Kinnucan. “Agricultural Problems in Georgia and Strategic Policy Responses.” In The Role of Agriculture in Central and Eastern European Rural Development: Engine of Change or Social Buffer? M. Petrick and P. Weingarten (editors). Halle (Saale), Germany: Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), 2004, pp. 52-64.
- Kinnucan, H.W., Ø. Myrland, and L. Paudel*. “Relative Impacts of Health Information and Advertising on Commodity Markets: U.S. Meats.” In Health, Nutrition, and Food Demand, W.S. Chern and K. Rickertsen (editors). England: CAB International, 2002.
- Kinnucan, H.W., Y. Miao*, H. Xiao*, and H.M. Kaiser. “Effects of Advertising on U.S. Non-Alcoholic Beverage Demand: Evidence from a Two-Stage Rotterdam Model.” Chapter 1 in Advances in Applied Microeconomics: Advertising and Differentiated Products. Volume 10. M.R. Baye and J.P. Nelson (editors). Oxford: Elsevier Science Ltd, 2001.
- Zidack, W., H. Kinnucan, and U. Hatch. “A Dynamic Econometric Model of the U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Industry.” in Aquaculture: Models and Economics, Kinnucan, H.W. and U. Hatch (eds.), Boulder: Westview Press, 1993.
- Goddard, E., H. Kinnucan and E. Belleza*. “Advertising Fluid Milk in Ontario.” in Market Demand for Dairy Products. Z.Hassan, S. R. Johnson, and P. Stonehouse (eds.) Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1992.
- Chang, H. and H. Kinnucan. “Performance of the AIDS Model for Advertising Evaluation: Results Based on Canadian Data.” in Commodity Advertising and Promotion. Kinnucan et al. (eds.). Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1992.
- Solomon*, H. and H. Kinnucan. “Effects of Promotion on Import Demand for U.S. Cotton in the Pacific Rim.” in Economic Effects of Generic Promotion Programs for Agricultural Exports, Nichols, J.P., H.W. Kinnucan, and K. Z. Ackerman (eds.). College Station: Texas A & M Policy Center, 1991.
- Kinnucan, H. “Expanding Foreign Demand Through Institutional Innovations: The Case of a Dairy Check-off Program in Korea” in Economic Effects of Generic Promotion Programs for Agricultural Exports, Nichols, J.P., H.W. Kinnucan, and K. Z. Ackerman (eds.). College Station: Texas A & M Policy Center, 1991.
- Kinnucan, H., J. J. Molnar, and U. Hatch. “Theories of Technical Change in Agriculture with Implications for Biotechnology.” in Biotechnology and the New Agricultural Revolution. J.J. Molnar and H. Kinnucan (eds.).American Association for Advancement of Science and Westview Press, 1988, pp. 103‑121.
- Kinnucan, H. “Effects of Advertising and Promotion on Consumer Demand and Related Issues.” in Advertising, Promotion and Consumer Use of Dairy Products. C.S. Thraen and D.E. Hahn (eds.) Columbus: The Ohio State University, 1988, pp. 185-98.
- Molnar, J. J., H. Kinnucan and U. Hatch. “Anticipating the Social Impacts of Biotechnology on Agriculture: A Review and Synthesis.” in Applications of Biotechnology to Agricultural Chemistry. John F. Phillips (editor) Washington, D. C. American Chemical Society Symposium Series, No. 334, 1987, pp. 254‑67.
- Kinnucan, H. “Importance of Functional Form in Optimizing Advertising Expenditures for Fluid Milk.” In Workshop on Applied Demand Analysis and Policy Evaluation. D. Peter Stonehouse (editor) International Dairy Federation Bulletin No. 197. Brussels, Belgium, 1986, pp. 246-55.
- Molnar, J. J. and H. Kinnucan. “Biotechnology and the Small Farm: Implications of an Emerging Trend.” in Strategies for Survival of Small Farms: International Implications. T. T. Williams (ed.). Tuskegee, Alabama: Human Resources Development Center, Tuskegee Institute, 1985, Chapter 1.
- Kinnucan, H. W. “Evaluating Advertising Effectiveness Using Time Series Data.” in Research on Effectiveness of Agricultural Commodity Promotion. Walter J. Armbruster and L. H. Myers (eds.). Farm Foundation/USDA, September 1985, pp. 105‑122.